PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The Brandeis University men's and women's fencing teams each posted a 2-3 record at the 2020 Philadelphia Invitational hosted by the University of Pennsylvania today. Both teams defeated Wayne State University and Drew University. The men dropped matches to rival NYU, host Penn, and defending national champions Columbia, while the women fell to Columbia, Penn, and Northwestern. The Brandeis men now own an 8-7 record, while the women stand at 9-8.
Wayne State (W, 21-6)
Drew (W, 15-12)
#9 Northwestern (L, 13-14)
#3 Columbia (L, 8-19)
#10 Penn (L, 4-23)
Wayne State (W, 15-12)
Drew (W, 22-5)
NYU (L, 7-20)
#10 Penn (L, 8-19)
#1 Columbia (L, 7-20)
WOMEN'S SABRE: 4-1
MEN'S SABRE, MEN'S EPEE, WOMEN'S FOIL: 2-3
MEN'S FOIL, WOMEN'S EPEE: 1-4
- Rookie sabre fencer Jessica Morales (Wilmington, Mass./Wilmington) continued her stellar season with a 14-1 record. She went undefeated against Wayne State, Northwestern, Columbia, and Penn, suffering her only loss to Drew.
- Classmate Maggie Shealy (Chapel Hill, N.C. / East Chapel Hill) was 11-4 on the day also for the sabre squad, Shealy was a perfect 3-0 against Wayne State, Drew and Northwestern and 2-1 against Columbia before getting swept by Penn.
- Senior Jessica Gets (Morganville, N.J. / Freehold Township) led the women's foil squad with a 10-5 record, posting 3-0 records against Wayne State and Drew and 2-1 against Northwestern. She took one win each in matches against Columbia and Penn.
- Junior Madeleine Vibert (Las Vegas, Nev. / West Career and Tech. Academy) paced the women's epee squad with six wins, including 3-0 against Wayne State.
- The top showings for the men were a pair of nine-match winners. Rookie Ben Rogak (E. Setauket, N.Y. / Ward-Melville) was 9-5 on the epee squad, picking up two wins each against Wayne State, Drew, Penn, and Columbia with one win against NYU.
- Junior Alexander Holtmann (Bad Ueberkingen, Germany / Kaufmaennische Schule Geislingen) also earned wins against every opponent, going 2-1 against Wayne, Drew, NYU and Penn and 1-2 against Columbia to finish at 9-6.
- Senior Ian Quin (Ramsey, N.J./Ramsey) and junior Jared Sugarman (Scarsdale, N.Y. / Scarsdale) each had wins against every team for the foil squad, with a 3-0 mark for Quin against Drew propelling him to a squad-best 8-7 record.
- The Judges finish their Northeast Fencing Conference schedule next Saturday afternoon at Boston College.