DURHAM, N.C. – The Brandeis University women's fencing team suffered five losses today at the 2020 Duke Invitational, facing some of the toughest competition of the season. The Judges dropped matches to #3 Notre Dame, 6-21; #6 Penn State, 7-20; #5 Temple, 3-24; host Duke, 6-21; and North Carolina, 12-15. The Judges' record now stands at 19-17 overall.
l. #3 Notre Dame, 6-21 (S3-F2-E1)
l. #6 Penn State, 7-20 (S3-F2-E2)
l. #5 Temple, 3-24 (S1-F1-E1)
l. Duke, 6-21 (S4-F0-E2)
l. North Carolina, 12-15 (S4-F4-E4)
- Rookie sabre fencer Jessica Morales (Wilmington, Mass./Wilmington) led the Judges with a 9-6 record. She was the only Brandeis fencer with wins against all five opponents, including 3-0 against North Carolina, 2-1 against Notre Dame and Duke, and 1-2 against PSU and Temple.
- Classmate and squadmate Maggie Shealy (Chapel Hill, N.C./East Chapel Hill) was second on the team in wins with six, earning two each against Penn State and Duke and one against Notre Dame and North Carolina.
- On the foil squad, senior Jessica Gets (Morganville, N.J./Freehold Township) led the way with five victories, posting winning records at 2-1 Penn State and UNC.
- Epee junior captain Madeleine Vibert (Las Vegas, Nev. / West Career and Tech. Academy) picked up wins against four of the five opponents, a feat matched only by the two sabre fencers.
- Senior Dakota Levy (Merion Station, Pa. / Barrack) also had four wins for the epee squad, including a 2-1 mark against North Carolina.
- The Judges close their dual-meet season on Wednesday, Feb. 12, at the annual Beanpot Tournament at Boston College.