WORCESTER, Mass. – The Brandeis swimming and diving team closed out the 2018 Gompei Invitational at WPI this evening. The Judges finished in eighth place with 2016.5 points in the combined men's and women's scoring of the event.
- The Judges two best events in terms of top finishes were the men's freestyle events, the 100 and 500, putting two swimmers in the top 10 of both.
- Sophomore Daniel Wohl (Chapel Hill, N.C. / East Chapel Hill) wrapped up a terrific meet by tying for second in the 100 and placing fourth in the 500. His time was 46.65 seconds in the 100 finals, but his 46.57 in the prelims was the second-fastest in school history. In the 500 his,
- Wohl finished fourth in the 500 with a time of 4:44.79, with a prelim time of 4:44.24 that ranks third all-time.
- Joining Wohl in the top 10 for the events were junior Tamir Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) who was 10th in the 100 in 48.37 after swimming 46.92 in the prelims, and sophomore Richard Selznick (Las Vegas, Nev./Dos Pueblos), who was seventh in the 500 in 4:46.20 after swimming 4:44.96 in the prelims.
- The Judges also established a school record among their two finalists in the 50 breaststroke, with rookies Alex Wang (Surrey, BC / Southpointe Academy) and Brendon Lu (Basking Ridge, NJ / Ridge) taking fifth and eighth, respectively. Wang's time of 26.70 seconds established a new school mark, lowering a standard set in 2009, while Lu's 28.12 is seventh in school history.
- The women had one swimmer qualify for an A final, as junior Natalya Wozab (Plantation, Fla. / Saint Thomas Aquinas), competing in her final meet before heading abroad next semester, finished 10th in the 100-yard individual medley with a time of 1:03.90 after swimming 1:02.66 in the prelims.
- Rookie Sean Riordan (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) closed out the A race finishers, placing 10th in the 200 butterfly with a time of 1:59.11 after swimming 1:57.64 in the prelims, good for seventh all time.
- Rookie Claire Xu (East Hanover, N.J. / Newark Academy) continued her fine meet in the 200 backstroke event, winning the C final with a time of 2:10.55, second in school history.
MORE TOP 20 PERFORMANCES
- Sophomore Annie Huang (Chapel Hill, N.C. / East Chapel Hill), 13th, 100 IM, 1:03.13, 4th all-time
- Rookie Olivia Stebbins (Willington, Conn. / Edwin O. Smith), 13th, 50 breaststroke, 31.99 seconds, 4th all time
- Junior Matthew Arcemont (Santa Ana, Calif. / Mater Dei), 13th, 100 IM, 55.55 seconds, 3rd all-time
- Senior Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla. / Cypress Bay), 14th, 200 butterfly, 2:13.75
- First-year Lauren Howard (Abington, MA / Cardinal Spellman), 15th, 100 free, 54.86 seconds, 6th all-time
- Sophomore Joe Beletti-Naccarato (Delmar, N.Y. / Bethlehem Central), 19th, 200 back, 2:00.93,
- Sophomore Chase Chen (Villanova, Penn. / The Hill School), 20th, 50 breaststroke, 29.49 seconds.