BOSTON, Mass. (taken from an Emerson College press release) -- Brandeis University men's basketball senior guard Corey Sherman (Penn Valley, Pa./Lower Merion) hit a long 3-pointer with 0.9 seconds remaining in regulation tonight to give the Judges a 75-72 road victory over Emerson College in non-conference action tonight. With the win, the Judges improve to 7-2, matching their win total from last season in just nine games. The Lions fall to 5-6 on the campaign.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Brandeis had four players in double figures but was paced by Sherman who finished with 21 points, including the game-winning shot for the Judges.
- Sophomore Chandler Jones (Springfield, Mass./Springfield Commonwealth Academy) and junior Eric D'Aguanno (Saunderstown, R.I./St. Andrew's School) both had 14 points for the Judges, with D'Aguanno scoring his off the bench.
- Junior Collin Sawyer (New London, Conn./New London) added 11 points.
- Sophomore Lawrence Sabir (Providence, R.I./LaSalle Academy) had a fine all-around game with seven points and team-highs of eight rebounds and five assists.
- Emerson's Jack O'Connor paced all scorers with 26, adding three rebounds, one assists, one steal, and one black. He was 10-13 from the field and 4-5 from thee point land.
- Zach Waterhouse scored 18 off the bench for Emerson, adding four rebounds and one steal.
- Jarred Houston posted a double double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. He blocked two shots, assisted on two baskets, and had one steal.
- Brandeis outrebounded Emerson, 31-29, and outshot the Lions, 51 percent (26-51) to 44 percent (26-59). The Judges also hit 50 percent from 3-point range (12-24), while EC hit just 33 percent (6-18).
- Those advantages offset Emerson's 18-6 edge in turnovers, though the Lions were only able to convert them into a 12-6 edge in points off those miscues.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges opened up a 10-point lead just six minutes into the game, capping the 17-7 run with a D'Aguanno three pointer.
- The Lions chipped away, eventually cutting the lead to five on a Houston layup with just under eight minutes in the first half.
- After falling behind 30-25, Emerson went on a 13-2 run to close out the first half, with O'Connor hitting a pull up three pointer with 44 seconds remaining.
- Brandeis opened the second half with a 10-4 run of their own to bring the game to 42 a piece with 16 minutes remaining.
- The teams stayed close throughout the rest of the game, with the biggest lead being Brandeis by six with 2:46 remaining.
- Collin Sawyer hit two free throws for Brandeis with 18 seconds remaining to put the Judges up by three.
- Waterhouse responded for the Lions, hitting a three pointer from the corner to tie the game with just under 5 seconds remaining.
- Sherman launched a three pointer which fell through the hoop with 0.9 remaining on the clock to give the Judges a three-point lead.
- Emerson's final full court heave fell short, finishing the game with a final score of 75-72 in favor of Brandeis.
- The Judges are off until just before the new year, playing host to Bowdoin College on December 30th at 2 p.m.