WALTHAM, Mass. – The visiting Case Western Reserve University Spartans saw five different players hit multiple 3-pointers, finishing with 15 as a team as they defeated the host Brandeis University Judges, 91-71, in University Athletic Association play tonight.
- Brandeis: 11-6, 3-3 UAA.
- CWRU: 13-3, 3-3 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges had few answers for the CWRU offense in the first half. The Spartans hit their first six shots and 13 of their first 16 before finishing the first half with a 64.5% shooting percentage (20-31).
- The visitors were even hotter from long range, hitting 9-of-12 (75%) in the first 20 minutes.
- The Spartans led by as many as 20 points on a Sam Trunly 3-pointer with 2:59 on the clock.
- Brandeis closed the stanza on an 8-2 run, with senior Dylan Lien (Northborough, Mass./Worcester Academy) scoring six in the string, to close within 51-37 at the break.
- The Judges made an early push in the second half, opening on a 9-4 run to cut the deficit to 56-46 on a lay-up by senior Sam Adusei (Worcester, Mass./St. George's School) with 16:54 on the clock.
- It was still a 10-point game after a pair of Quron Zene (Windsor, Conn./IMG Academy) free throws five minutes into the period, but CWRU embarked on a 16-4 run over the next four minutes to reestablish a 22-point advantage.
- Brandeis would get no closer than 17 points the rest of the way.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Case's hot shooting was the story of the game, as the visitors hit 61% overall (36-59) and 68.2% from 3-point range (15-22).
- Brandeis hit a respectable 50% from the field (26-52), but hit just 33.3% from beyond the arc (7-21).
- The Spartans also had a sizable rebounding advantage (33-18).
- Brandeis sophomore Toby Harris (Durham, N.C./Durham Academy) led all scorers with 19 points, 13 coming in the second half. He also had a team-high three rebounds.
- Lien added 13 points in the contest.
- Zene and Adusei each had nine points. Zene also led the Judges with four assists.
- Case was led by Mitch Prendergast and Umar Rashid with 17 points each, while Cole Frilling and Sam Trunley each had 16. Those four players combined to go 12-for-18 from 3-point range.
- The Spartans' 15 3-pointers were three shy of a UAA single-game record.
- Frilling just missed a double-double with nine rebounds, while Danny Frauenheim had 10 assists.
- Brandeis plays host to Carnegie Mellon on Sunday at 12 noon, while Case Western Reserve is at NYU at the same time. NYU defeated CMU, 79-55.