CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Brandeis University men's basketball team dropped its fourth-straight University Athletic Association contest tonight as the Judges fell, 101-73, at Case Western Reserve University.
- Brandeis: 11-8, 3-5 UAA.
- CWRU: 15-3, 5-3 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges opened the scoring with a 3-pointer by junior Ryan Power (Waltham, Mass./Waltham), but CWRU scored the game's next eight points and the Spartans never trailed again.
- Brandeis was within a bucket at 24-22 after sophomore Toby Harris (Durham, N.C./Durham Academy) hit a jumper with 5:29 remaining in the first half.
- CWRU responded by closing on a 21-8 run, missing just two shots, to take a 45-30 lead into the locker room. The Spartans got a 3-pointer from Sam Trunley at the buzzer to establish their 15-point lead.
- Brandeis was within 11 points on a trifecta from senior Terrell Brown (Lowell, Mass./Proctor Academy) that made it 49-38 with 18:37 on the clock.
- Case Western Reserve scored the game's next nine points in less than 30 seconds thanks to five free throws, two of which came on a technical foul, and another that completed a three-point play. That pushed the lead to 20 points, and the Spartans never looked back.
- The lead ballooned as large as 33 points before the 28-point final margin of victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Senior Sam Adusei (Worcester, Mass./St. George's School) led the Judges in scoring with 16 points, 14 of which came in the second half.
- He also tied for team-high honors with three assists with first-year Quron Zene (Windsor, Conn./IMG Academy).
- Harris finished with 15 points – nine in the first half – while Power had all 12 of his points in the first 20 minutes of action.
- Sophomore Griffin Walbridge (Longmeadow, Mass. / Tabor Academy) led the Judges with a career-high nine rebounds off the bench, playing 20 minutes for just the second time in his career. Four of his boards came on the offensive glass.
- CWRU had four players score in double digits, led by Cole Frilling's 16 points on 4-of-6 from 3-point range and 4-of-4 from the line.
- Trunley also hit four 3-pointers to finish with 14 points, while Danny Fraunheim had 13 and Umar Rashid had 12.
- Ian Elam led the hosts with nine rebounds, while Fraunheim just missed a double-double with nine assists.
- As they did in winning the first meeting between the two teams, CWRU used hot shooting to earn the win. They connected on 56.6% from the field (30-63), 48.3% from 3-point range (14-29) and 87.1% from the line (27-31). Brandeis hit just 41.9% overall (26-62), but were 50% from downtown (12-24) and the line (9-18).
- CWRU won the battle of the boards, 37-30, after earning a 16-7 rebounding margin in the first half.
- Turnovers were nearly even – 12 for Case, 11 for Brandeis – but the Spartans turned them into a 20-11 scoring advantage.
- The Judges will look to return to the win column on Sunday afternoon at Carnegie Mellon with a 12 p.m. tip.