CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – The Brandeis University fencing teams rode big wins from their foil squads to victory over MIT tonight as the Judges posted a 1-2 record in the annual Fencing Beanpot Tournament with local rivals Harvard and Boston College tonight. The men close the dual-match season with a 17-18 record, while the women finish at 20-19.
l. #7 Harvard, 8-19 (S6-F2-E0)
l. Boston College, 11-16 (S6-F4-E1)
def. MIT, 15-12 (S4-F6-E5)
l. #2 Harvard, 2-25 (S1-F1-E0)
l. BC, 8-19 (S4-F1-E3)
def. MIT, 15-12 (S3-F8-E4)
Women's Sabre: 2-1
Women's foil, epee, men's foil: 1-2
Men's sabre, epee: 0-3
- Senior Jessica Gets (Morganville, NJ / Freehold Township) paced the foil squad with a team-best 7-2 record. She was 2-1 against Harvard and BC and 3-0 against MIT.
- In the match against the Engineers, rookie Samantha Shortall (Norwell, Mass./Norwell) also went 3-0, as the squad's 6-3 win helped offset a 5-4 split in the other two weapons.
- The women's saber squad went 2-0 in the first two matches before falling, 4-5, in the win over MIT. Rookies Jessica Morales (Wilmington, Mass./Wilmington) and Maggie Shealy (Chapel Hill, N.C./East Chapel Hill) were both 5-3. Morales was 2-0 against Harvard, who only sent two sabre fencers, while Shealy was 3-0 against BC.
- Junior Madeleine Vibert (Las Vegas, Nev. / West Career and Tech. Academy) also went 3-0 against MIT for the epee squad, helping them to their lone win of the night, 5-4. She finished with four wins.
- On the men's side, the Judges had just one squad win, but foil's 8-1 victory over MIT was enough to carry Brandeis to the victory. Senior Sam Chestna (Middleborough, Mass.) went 3-0 against the Engineers, including two 5-4 wins. Rookie Elliot Siegel (Newton, Conn. / Hopkins School) was also 3-0 in the match, while junior Alek Broszkowski (Haworth, N.J. / Northern Valley Regional) was 2-1.
- Broszkowski also picked up one of the Judges' two wins over Harvard.
- Rookie sabre fencer Braden Vaccari (New York, N.Y./Dwight School) had the other win over the Crimson. He also had two of his squad's three wins over MIT.
- The Judges compete at the New England Intercollegiate Fencing Conference championships this Sunday at Vassar College.