SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Junior forward Max Horowitz (Swansea, Mass. / Northfield Mount Hermon) notched a goal and an assist today as the Brandeis University men's soccer team opened its 2022 campaign with a 4-0 victory on the road at Western New England University.
- Brandeis, 1-0-0
- Western New England, 0-1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges got all the scoring they would need in the 21st minute, when Horowitz sent a cross from along the end line to senior Sancho Maroto Tobias (Acton, Mass. / Lexington), a transfer from UMass Lowell, who punched it home.
- Horowitz added his goal in the 30th minute when he drove into the box where eluded a defender, and blasted a shot just under the crossbar. First-year Rainer Osselmann-Chai (Acton, Mass. / Acton-Boxborough Regional) picked up an assist.
- In the second half, the Judges added two more goals about eight minutes apart. In the 63rd minute, first-year Elan Romo (Weston, Fla. / Cypress Bay) juked a defender and slid one under the Golden Bear keeper.
- Junior Roee Maor (Demarest, N.J./Northern Valley Regional), a transfer from Fordham University, closed out the scoring in the 71st minute.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Senior captain Aiden Guthro (Newburyport, Mass. / Newburyport) made one save for his seventh career shutout.
- WNE keeper Ryan Suprin made three saves and allowed four goals in the first 73 minutes for the hosts. Jacob Wadas had two stops in the final 17 minutes.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outshot the Golden Bears, 14-10.
- The Judges had a 5-2 advantage in corner kicks.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- This was Horowitz's second career three-point game. The last came Sept 25, 2021, in a 2-0 win over Bates.
- Maroto Tobias scored four goals in his career at UMass Lowell, while Maor did not score for Fordham.
- Brandeis had not scored four goals in a game since Sept. 18, 2018, in an 8-0 win over Mass. Maritime.
- The Judges host Denison University on Sunday at noon in their home opener.
- WNEU is at Clark University Saturday at 2 p.m.