WALTHAM, Mass. – On a hot, sunny day on Gordon Field, the Brandeis University and Denison University men's soccer teams battled to a 0-0 non-conference draw in the first-ever meeting between the two sides.
- Brandeis, 1-0-1; Denison, 1-0-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half saw few quality chances. Denison outshot the Judges, 7-2, with Brandeis senior Aiden Guthro (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport) making a pair of saves.
- The second half opened with a flurry of action and the best chance of the game came in the 47th minute when Brandeis senior back Isaac Mukala (Malden, Mass. / Lawrence Academy) was taken down in the box earning a penalty kick.
- Judge sophomore back Andres Gonzalez (Doral, Fla. / Divine Savior Academy) took the PK and sent a hard shot along the ground ticketed for just inside the right post, but Big Red keeper Tommy Prokos made a tremendous diving save to keep the game scoreless.
- Prokos also made a nice stop on Brandeis senior back Forrest Shimazu's (Natick, Mass. / Needham) well-struck header on the ensuing corner kick.
- The Big Red had a nice counter-attack after the save, with Jake Krueger's shot on the run veering just outside the far left post.
- The teams had back-and-forth play the rest of the way, with Guthro making his final save in the 90th minute against Krueger to preserve the scoreless draw.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Denison finished the game with a 16-9 shot advantage, after taking a 9-6 advantage in the second half.
- Neither team has allowed a goal in 180 minutes this season.
- Guthro and Prokos each finished with three saves.
- The shutout was Guthro's eighth of his career.
- Gonzalez, Shimazu, and junior Max Horowitz (Swansea, Mass. / Northfield Mount Hermon) each had two shots for the Judges.
- The Judges return to action on Wednesday evening at home against WPI with a 7 p.m. kickoff.
- Denison plays host to the University of Mount Union at the same time.