NORTON, Mass. – The Brandeis University men's soccer team scored two goals in just over two minutes early the first half today as the Judges defeated host Wheaton College, 2-1, on the road in a non-conference contest.
- Brandeis: 3-2-1, #5 in United Soccer Coaches Region II.
- Wheaton: 4-3-1, #7 in United Soccer Coaches Region II.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges opened the scoring in the 14th minute following a scramble off a corner kick. First-year Rainer Osselmann-Chai (Acton, Mass. / Acton-Boxborough Regional) sent a corner kick into the box. Senior Forrest Shimazu (Natick, Mass. / Needham) hit a shot off the post, and junior Max Horowitz (Swansea, Mass. / Northfield Mount Hermon) was there to knock it home.
- Just 2:12 later, first-year player Nico Beninda (Monroe Township, N.J. / Monroe Township) took advantage of a miscue in the Wheaton defensive box and ripped a shot into the far-right corner of the goal.
- Wheaton responded in the 20th minute when Ethan Alfano sent a cross through the box. Gavin Mahoney was there to head the ball past Brandeis senior Aiden Guthro (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport) to cut the lead in half.
- Neither team was able to score in the second half, with Guthro making five saves in the second 45 minutes to preserve the Brandeis win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Wheaton owned an 18-11 shooting advantage for the game, including 9-4 in shots on goal.
- Corner kicks were even at 5-all.
- The Judges were whistled for 14 fouls, compared to 10 for the Lyons. Wheaton drew three yellow cards and the Judges had two.
- Brandeis's Guthro finished with eight saves in the winning effort, while Michael O'Gara had two stops for Wheaton.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Horowitz and Beninda each scored their second goal of the season, tied for team-high honors.
- Beninda's goal was his first career game-winner.
- Osselmann-Chai's assist was his team-leading fourth of the campaign.
- Guthro has recorded at least six saves in each of his last four starts.
- The Judges return home to meet Eastern Nazarene College on Saturday at 1 p.m.
- Wheaton is at WPI Saturday at 1 p.m.