Posted: Oct 30, 2022
WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University men's soccer team dropped a 3-1 University Athletic Association decision today to top-ranked University of Chicago on Gordon Field.
- Brandeis, 6-7-2, 1-5 UAA.
- Chicago, 15-0-1, 5-0-1 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Chicago scored twice in the first six minutes to get on the front foot early.
- UC's Lyndon Hu converted a PK after a Brandeis hand ball in the fifth minute, and scored in the run of play on a goal by Robbie Pino from Tanner Baldwin just 53 seconds later to make it 2-0.
- The Judges got one back in the 71st minute on a PK of their own after the Maroons were whistled for hand ball in the box. First-year Rainer Osselmann-Chai (Acton, Mass./Lexington) banged it off the UC keeper's glove and into the right-side netting.
- Chicago netted an insurance goal in the 83rd minute when Ryan Shea's strike from just inside the 18-yard box deflected past Brandeis senior keeper Aiden Guthro (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Chicago had a 22-9 shot advantage, including 13-1 in shots on goal.
- Guthro made 10 saves for his second game of double-digit stops this season and third of his career.
- Brandeis had 3 corner kicks to 2 for Chicago, and the Judges were whistled for 15 fouls to 12.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Osselmann-Chai's goal was his second of the season. Brandeis is 1-2 on PKs this season.
- The goal was only the eighth surrendered by Chicago this season, and just their second in UAA play.
- Brandeis will celebrate Senior Day next Saturday against NYU at 12 noon.