WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University men's soccer celebrated their graduating seniors today before their final contest, but the Judges were unable to follow it up with a win, falling to University Athletic Association rivals NYU on Gordon Field.
- Brandeis, 6-8-2, 1-6-0 UAA.
- NYU, 9-4-3, 4-1-2 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brandeis got off to a quick start, with senior Sammy Guttell (Brookline, Mass. / Brookline) shooting just wide in the third minute.
- The Judges had few more shots in the early going, but NYU setteled into the game in the second half hour. The Violets went on top just 1:20 before halftime on a goal by Talal Said on an assist by Alex Rovisrosa-Illa.
- The Violets extended their lead on the first shot of the second half when Arkan Tahsildaroglu connected with Nathan Bennett on a cross in the 50th minute.
- Tahsildaroglu closed out the scoring in the 84th minute with a long run and shot into lower-right corner.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- NYU owned a 14-10 advantage in shots, 7-1 in shots on goal.
- Brandeis had a 3-1 edge in corner kicks, and they were whistled for twice as may fouls, 13-6.
- Brandeis senior Aiden Guthro (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport) made four saves in the losing effort three in the first half.
- NYU's Luca Mancuso had one save in the shutout effort.
- Before the match, the Judges honored seven players who competed in the final games of their career today. They are:
- Goalkeeper Max Blacker (Scotch Plains, N.J. / St. Benedict's Prep)
- Goalkeeper Aiden Guthro (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport)
- Back Isaac Mukala (Malden, Mass. / Lawrence Academy)
- Forward Josh Gans (Newton, Mass. / Gann Academy)
- Back Forrest Shimazu (Natick, Mass. / Needham)
- Forward Khalil Winder (Miami, Fla. / Avon Old Farms (Conn.)
- And forward Sammy Guttell (Brookline, Mass. / Brookline)