Posted: Mar 31, 2023
WALTHAM, Mass. – The #31-ranked Brandeis men's tennis team saw its modest two-game winning streak halted today at the hands of #26-ranked Babson by a score of 6-3 at the Cordish Tennis Center today.
- Brandeis: 6-5, #31 in Division III.
- Babson: 9-1, #26 in Division III.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Beavers opened things up with a 2-1 lead after doubles. Brandeis opened the scoring as junior Chen Liang (Shanghai, China / Shanghai Pinghe School) and first-year Alex Merson (Palisades Park, N.J. / Tenafly) earned an 8-2 win at #3.
- Babson answered with wins of 8-4 at #1 and a late break at #2 to take an 8-6 lead into singles.
- The teams split the first two singles matches, with Babson's Brady Anderson taking a 6-4, 6-4, win at #2, and Brandeis senior Hunter Levine (Weston, Fla. / Cypress Bay) taking a 6-3, 7-5, decision at #6.
- The Beavers swept the final four singles matches, winning a couple of key tiebreakers. Luis Utrilla topped Brandeis's Simon Kauppila (Chesterfield, Mo./Marquette H.S.), 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) at #3, while Wesley Zhang knocked off Liang, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, at #5 to clinch the victory.
- Babson closed out the match with a pair of three-set wins, with Jason Weisman defeating Merson, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1, at #4, and Brooks Green using a pair of late breaks to defeat Dylan Walters (Baltimore, Md. / Gilman School), 3-6, 7-5, 7-5.
- Brandeis heads to New York City on Sunday to take on University Athletic Association rivals NYU in a key match for UAA tournament seeding.