MEDFORD, Mass. – A pair of Brandeis University track and field records fell today at the 2020 Tufts University Cupid Invitational.
On the men's side, senior Jack Allan (Wrentham, Mass./King Phillip Regional) set his second record of the season. Having already established the Judges' mark in the heptathlon on two different occasions, today Allan broke the school record in the 60-meter hurdles that had stood since 2009 with a time of 8.46 seconds in the finals. After running 8.62 seconds in the prelims to earn the second seed, Allan won the final race by 0.12 seconds and lowered the school record held by Myles Tyrer-Vassell '12 by one-tenth of a second.
The second mark of the day was set by the women's 4x200-meter relay, eclipsing a record set in 2016. The quartet of sophomore Anna Touitou (Pleasantville, N.Y. / Pleasantville), sophomore Sonali Anderson (Fayetteville, Ga. / Whitewater), rookie Sydney D'Amaddio (Amston, Conn. / RHAM) and sophomore Devin Hiltunen (Quincy, Mass./North Quincy) ran a time of 1:47.30, good for second place at the meet and eclipsing the previous mark by 0.31 seconds. It marks the third school record for Anderson and second for Hiltunen.
Individually among that quartet, Anderson posted a third-place finish in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.34 seconds, after running 9.63 in the prelims. Hiltunen had a sixth-place finish in the individual 200-meter dash, posting a time of 26.47, second in her heat and among Division III runners. She also ran the 4x400-meter relay with rookie Yahni Lapa (W. Newton, Mass./Newton North), junior Leinni Valdez (Providence, R.I./Hope) and D'Amaddio that finished in second place with a time of 4:07.46, just ahead of second-place MIT.
Other top performances on the day :
- Senior Lorenzo Maddox (Atlanta, Ga./Maynard Jackson), was fourth in the 200m dash (23.30 seconds) and sixth in the 60m dash with a mark of 7.16 seconds, just 0.004 out of fifth.
- Junior Niamh Kenney (Hanover, Mass./Hanover) was fourth in the 3,000-meter run in 10:08.79.
- Sophomore Dion Morris-Evans (Canal Fulton, Ohio/Northwest) was fifth in the high jump with a height of 1.90m (6-2 ¼).
- Senior Breylen Ammen (Lincoln, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury) and sophomore Aaron Corin (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury) were fifth and sixth in the pole vault, respectively, at 4.45m (14-7 ¼) and 4.30m (14-1 1.4).
- Junior Andrea Bolduc (Auburn, Mass./Auburn) was fifth in the 1,000-meter run in 3:03.57.
- Sophomore Natalie Hattan (Sugar Land, Texas/Clements) was eighth in the mile in 5:19.11.
- Senior Willa Moen (Ashland, Ore./Ashland) was eighth in the 60m hurdles in 9.83 seconds.
The Judges head to BU for the Valentines Invitational next weekend.