WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's basketball team dropped its final home game before Thanksgiving this evening, 94-67, to visiting Emmanuel College in a non-conference contest. The Judges fall to 1-2 with the loss, while the Saints improve to 3-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges never led in this one, as Emmanuel's pressure forced them into 27 turnovers, which the Saints converted into 28 points. Brandeis was only able to get eight points out of EC's 16 miscues.
- The Saints outshot Brandeis from the floor, 49.4% to 39.7%. The difference was starkest in the second quarter, when the visitors connected on 9-of-17 shots (52.9%), while Brandeis made just 3-of-18 (16.7%). Emmanuel outscored Brandeis, 24-8, in the period and never looked back.
- Emmanuel also had a 46-43 edge on the glass, including a 17-13 advantage on the offensive glass that they turned into a 23-10 margin in second-chance points.
- Individually, EC's Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda showed why she was named the national Player of the Week this week, scoring 33 points on 14-of-20 shooting, and grabbing a game-high 13 rebounds.
- Three other Saints scored in double figures: Kayla Weaver, who had 24 points and nine steals; Maddie McLaughlin, who added 14 points and seven assists, and Riley Lahiff, who scored 10 points off the bench,
- Brandeis was paced by senior Sarah Jaromin (E. Greenbush, N.Y./Columbia) for the second time this season, as she scored 13 points to reach double figures for the third game in a row. She also tied for team-high honors with four assists.
- Sophomore Jillian Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) added 11 points and five rebounds.
- Rookie Shannon Smally (Foxborough, Mass./Foxborough) had six of her eight points in the first half, but was limited by foul trouble.
- Sophomore Samira Abdelrehim (Burlington, Conn. / Lewis S. Mills) came off the bench in the third and provided a nice spark, scoring all of her career-high eight points in that period. She also pulled down four of her career-high five rebounds in the third.
- Junior Amber Graves (La Canada, Calif./La Canada) led Brandeis with six rebounds.
- The Judges return to action against #6-ranked Tufts University on Sunday, November 25 at 2 p.m.
- Emmanuel plays host to Amherst one week from today at 7:30 p.m.