CHICAGO, Ill. – The Brandeis University women's basketball team saw three players score in double figures tonight, but it wasn't enough to overcome a near-perfect night by the University of Chicago's Taylor Lake, who scored 30 points on 12-of-13 shooting, as the 23rd-ranked Maroons defeated the Judges, 85-68, in a University Athletic Association contest. With the loss, the Judges fall to 7-15, 3-9 in the UAA, while the Maroons improve to 18-5, 9-3 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brandeis sophomore Camila Casanueva (Santa Barbara, Calif./Dos Pueblos) scored the team's first two buckets, give Brandeis leads of 2-0 and 4-3, but UC's answered both hoops with 3-pointers and the Maroons never trailed again.
- The Judges were tied with UC at 10-10 after two Lauren Rubinstein (Southbury, Conn./Pomperaug) free throws, but Chicago scored 12 of the game's next 14 points to open up a double-digit lead.
- Lake hit two late 3-pointers and Miranda Burt another to give UC a 31-18 lead after one period. The Maroons hit 12-of-17 overall and 7-of-11 from downtown in the opening 10 minutes, while Brandeis was 7-of-16 and 0-of-3.
- The hosts hit their first three shots of the second period, and the Judges never challenged the rest of the way.
- Brandeis outscored UC, 15-13, in the fourth quarter, but it was too little, too late.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Casanueva led the Judges with 21 points, her third 20+ point game of the season.
- She hit 8-of-15 from the field and 5-of-5 from the line, but was held without a 3-pointer for only the second time this season.
- Senior Sarah Jaromin (E. Greenbush, N.Y./Columbia) and rookie Kerry Tanke (Manalapan, N.J./Manalapan) finished with 14 points each. Jaromin had eight points in the first half, Tanke eight in the second.
- The two also combined for 13 rebounds with Tanke leading all players with seven and Jaromin adding six.
- Casanueva and Jaromin also tied for team-high honors with two assists each.
- Lake was the star of the game for Chicago, finishing with 30 points. She hit her first 12 shots and was 5-of-5 from 3-point range before missing her final lay-up attempt at the very end of the third quarter. She played just four minutes in the fourth period.
- Burt added 16 points for the Maroons, hitting 5-of-10 overall and 4-of-9 from deep with a pair of free throws.
- Ola Obi led Chicago with six rebounds, while Jamie Kockenmeister had six assists. Mia Farrell and Lake had four helpers each, as UC assisted on 25 of their 32 buckets, while Brandeis had just six on their 23.
- Brandeis won the rebounding battle, 42-25, and outscored Chicago, 20-6 from the line, but the home team's 15-2 advantage in 3-pointers more than made up the difference.
- Brandeis will head to Washington University on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. Central/2 Eastern.