BRISTOL, R.I. – Brandeis University women's basketball senior Francesca Marchese (Staten Island, N.Y./Staten Island Academy) became the ninth member of the Judges' program with 100 career 3-pointers, but host Roger Williams won the game tonight, 89-58.
- Brandeis, 2-4.
- Roger Williams, 3-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Hawks never trailed in the game, opening up on a 10-2 run and never looking back.
- The Judges tied it at 14-all on a Molly James (Pittsburgh, Pa. / Upper St. Clair) bucket with 3:19 remaining in the first, but RWU ended on an 8-2 run to take a 22-16 lead.
- Roger Williams took control in the second and third periods, outscoring Brandeis 18-9 in the second and 31-13 in the third.
- The Hawks hit 11-of-15 shots out of the half, hitting their only 3-pointer and 8-of-10 foul shots.
- Brandeis reserves outscored the hosts, 20-18, in the fourth quarter.
- Marchese joined the 100 3-pointer club with a trifecta with 5:06 to go in the first quarter.
- She also dialed long distance with 6:34 left in the second for her 101st.
- Marchese is the ninth player to reach the century mark in 3-pointers. She can tie Jaime Capra '08 for eighth place with two more.
- She reached the 100 mark in just 55 games, faster than any player in school history, having no sophomore season due to COVID-19.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Thirteen different Judges scored points, but none had more than six: Marchese, sophomore Caitlin Gresko (Howell, N.J./Howell), senior Emma Reavis (Miami, Okla./Deerfield Academy) and junior Selenya Gonzalez (Springfield, Mass. / Springfield Central).
- Graduate student Shannon Smally (Foxborough, Mass./Foxborough) led the Judges with four rebounds.
- Seven different Judges had one assist each.
- RWU got 24 points off the bench from Sofia Coppola, plus 20 from Sophia Araneo and 19 from Katie Galligan.
- The Judges play host to #17 Babson on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. in a game originally scheduled for last Tuesday night.
- RWU is at Nichols College Wednesday night at 5:30 p.m. in their CCC conference opener.