WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's basketball team out three different players in double digits in scoring, but it wasn't enough to overcome a 30-point performance as the Judges dropped a 67-60 University Athletic Association contest to visiting Case Western Reserve University in Red Auerbach Arena tonight.
- Brandeis: 6-11, 1-5 UAA.
- Case Western Reserve: 12-5, 3-3 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges jumped out to an early 9-3 lead on a Caitlin Gresko (Howell, N.J./Howell) trifecta just under 2:30 into the game.
- The Spartans answered and eventually took a 14-12 lead after one on a half-court buzzer-beater by Maya Roberts.
- Brandeis went back on top midway through the second on senior Emma Reavis's (Miami, Okla./Deerfield Academy) bucket at the 4:44 mark that made it 18-16 in favor of the Judges.
- The lead changed hands three more times in the stanza, but the Judges hung on for a 26-25 halftime lead.
- Reavis had eight points and seven boards at the break, while Isabella Mills had 13 points in 19 minutes of action for CWRU.
- CWRU looked to pull away in the third, tallying 19 points while holding the Judges to 14 as they took a 44-40 edge into the final 10 minutes.
- Brandeis rallied and scored the first five points of the fourth quarter on a 3-pointer by senior Tathiana Pierre (Jericho, N.Y./Sacred Heart Academy) and two Gresko free throws to take a 45-44 lead 54 seconds in.
- CWRU answered by scoring eight of the game's next nine points, from three different players. The Spartans held Brandeis to just one field goal over an eight-minute span, and the visitors never trailed again.
- The lead grew as large as nine points, though Pierre scored eight late points, including a couple of 3-pointers, to help get the Judges within the final margin.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis got 16 points from Reavis to lead the Judges, hitting 7-of-14 from the field and 2-of-2 from the line.
- She also grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
- Pierre finished with 15 points, 11 of which came in the fourth period. She dished out a game-high six assists.
- Gresko finished with 12 points, six coming in the fourth period. She also had six rebounds.
- CWRU only had one player score in double figures, as Isabella Mills finished with 30 points and 10 rebounds in 39 minutes of action. She hit 5-of-12 from the field, 4-of-9 from deep and 16-of-19 from the line, including 13-of-15 in the fourth period.
- Sarah Mitchell led the Spartans with four assists.
- The visitors won the battle of the boards, 45-38, including 14-9 on the offensive glass, leading to a 12-8 advantage in second-chance points.
- The Spartans outscored Brandeis, 29-12, from the free-throw line as well.
- The Judges close out the first half of the UAA schedule on Sunday afternoon at home against Carnegie Mellon. CWRU travels to NYU to play at the same time. NYU defeated Carnegie Mellon tonight, 77-52.