CLEVELAND, Ohio – Brandeis University women's basketball senior forward Emma Reavis (Miami, Okla./Deerfield Academy) registered her second double-double of the season with 15 points and 11 rebounds, but it wasn't enough as the Judges dropped an 86-67 decision at Case Western Reserve University to start the second half of the University Athletic Association season tonight.
- Brandeis: 6-13, 1-7 UAA.
- CWRU: 13-6, 4-4 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first period saw the Judges open the scoring with a Francesca Marchese (Staten Island, N.Y./Staten Island Academy) 3-pointer, but that was their only lead of the game.
- CWRU took three different five-point leads in the opening 10 minutes, but the Judges tied it up after the first two before the Spartans took a 20-15 advantage into the second period.
- The home team pulled away in the second by outscoring Brandeis, 28-17. The Spartans hit 63% from the field (12-19), while the Judges made just 31% of their shots (5-16).
- CWRU's Kayla Charaklis had 10 points in the second quarter, hitting 5-of-5 from the field, while Reavis and Marchese combined for 13 of Brandeis's 17 points.
- Both squads shot 50% from the floor in the third period (9-18), but CWRU hit two more 3-pointers and were perfect from the free-throw line (7-7), while the Judges missed their only foul shot, as the Spartans owned a 78-53 lead after 30 minutes.
- Brandeis outscored the home team, 14-8, with reserves playing most of the minutes. First-year Abby Kennedy (Half Moon Bay, Calif. / Half Moon Bay) had four points to pace the visitors, but the Spartans cruised to the 19-point victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Reavis led the Judges with 15 points, 11 rebounds and four assists.
- The double-double was her second of the season and the fourth of her career.
- Marchese added 12 points, hitting four of her seven 3-point attempts.
- She now has 122 career trifectas, moving her within six of fourth place on the Judges' career list.
- Graduate student Shannon Smally (Foxborough, Mass./Foxborough) added 10 points, while Kennedy led the Brandeis reserves with seven.
- First-year Lily Mires (Santa Barbara, Calif. / Dos Pueblos) had a career-high five rebounds off the bench.
- CWRU had four players score in double figures. Charaklis and Margaret Terry each had 16 points. Isabella Mills added 15 points and Lucy Vanderbruck had 14 off the bench.
- Mills led all players with eight rebounds, while Terry had a game-high six assists.
- Brandeis had the rebounding advantage, 43-38, but CWRU won the turnover battle, 16-9, outscoring the Judges 20-9 in points off miscues. The Spartans also had a 31-19 advantage in points off the bench.
- The Judges will travel to Pittsburgh to take on Carnegie Mellon University at 2 p.m. on Sunday.