WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's basketball team was within six points of league-leading Washington University at halftime, but the Bears outscored the Judges 23-13 to pull away with a 65-49 University Athletic Association victory in Red Auerbach Arena tonight.
- Brandeis, 6-15, 1-9 UAA.
- Washington U., 16-5, 9-1 UAA, ranked #22 in Division III by D3hoops.com
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges had a nice rally in the first quarter. After falling behind 13-2, they closed on a 12-5 run to trail by only four, 18-14, at the end of one period. Senior Tathiana Pierre (Jericho, N.Y./Sacred Heart Academy) hit a lay-up at the end of the stanza to get the Judges within four.
- The second period was a defensive struggle, with both teams combining for 16 points as WashU had a 9-7 edge. The Bears were 4-14 from the field in the second, while the Judges were 3-13.
- The third quarter proved to be the difference maker, as WashU outscored Brandeis, 23-13. The visitors hit 11-of-16 from the field (68.8%) while Brandeis made just 5-of-16 (31.3%).
- Both teams used their reserves in the fourth, when they battled to a 15-15 tie.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Judges were led by senior Francesca Marchese (Staten Island, N.Y./Staten Island Academy), who finished with 10 points, seven coming in the first half.
- Senior Emma Reavis (Miami, Okla./Deerfield, Mass., Academy) and junior Selenya Gonzalez (Springfield, Mass. / Springfield Central) each had nine points.
- Graduate student Shannon Smally (Foxborough, Mass./Foxborough) had a team-high seven rebounds.
- WashU was paced by Maya Arnott, who finished with game-highs of 18 points and eight rebounds.
- Jessica Brooks stuffed the stat sheet with 11 points, six rebounds, six assists and six steals. Jordan Rich added 11 points in 20 minutes off the bench,
- WashU won the battle of the boards, 39-35. The visitors had a slight advantage in turnovers, 19-17, but were able to convert Brandeis miscues into 28 points, compared to just eight for the Judges.
- The visitors also had a 42-20 advantage in points in the paint.
- The Judges celebrate Senior Day on Sunday at 2 p.m. against the University of Chicago. WashU is at NYU at the same time.