WALTHAM, Mass. – Senior All-American Juliette Carreiro (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional) notched her third career brace tonight as the Brandeis University women's soccer team defeated Roger Williams University, 3-1, on Gordon Field. The win extends the Judges' unbeaten streak to five in a row (4-0-1).
TEAM RECORDS / RANKINGS
- Brandeis, 5-2-1, 4th in United Soccer Coaches Region II poll.
- Roger Williams, 3-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brandeis outshot RWU, 9-0, in the first half, and the Judges finally broke the ice in the 30th minute. First-year midfielder Briar Grady (Natick, Mass./Natick) sent a long ball from deep in the defensive zone that made it all the way to the Roger Williams 18-yard box. Carreiro beat oncoming Hawk goalkeeper Bailey Bourque to the ball and chipped it past her off the far post and in.
- The Judges doubled the lead in the 60th minute when Carreiro corralled a ball deflected on an RWU clearance, took a couple of touches, and blasted a shot just under the crossbar and over the outreached arms of Bourque from 20 yards out.
- The Hawks spoiled Brandeis's shutout bid in the 77th minute. First-year Julia Robbins made a nice tackle that got the ball to her senior sister Bianca. Bianca Robbins made a nice move to elude a couple of Brandeis defenders and slid one under Brandeis rookie Ella Thomson (Libertyville, Ill. / Vernon Hills).
- Just 1:16 later, the Judges pushed the lead back to two when senior Morgan Clark (West Orange, N.J. / West Orange) volleyed home a free kick from sophomore back Rachel Watler (Stevenson Ranch, Calif. / West Ranch).
- RWU almost scored in the 89th minute to make things interesting, but a ball that was ticketed for the net after a strange bounce was touched by an offside player before going in.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis finished with a 24-2 advantage in shots overall, 11-2 in shots on goal.
- The Judges had six corner kicks to two for the Hawks, while Brandeis was whistled for three more fouls, 12-9.
- Thomson made one save for her second win of the season.
- Bourque suffered the loss despite making eight stops.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The two-goal performance was Carreiro's third of her career and first since 2019.
- She moved into second place in the University Athletic Association in both goals (6) and points (15) this season.
- Carreiro also moved into 14th place on Brandeis's career points list with 62 and into a tie for 16th on the career goals list with 22.
- It was her ninth career game-winning goal, tying her with seven others for sixth on Brandeis's career list.
- Clark's goal was the third of her career.
- Watler's assist was the third of her season, leading the team and tied for third in the UAA.
- The Judges are off until next Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. when they play host to Lesley University.
- RWU hosts Gordon College Saturday at 3 p.m. in their first home CCC match of the campaign.