CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Brandeis University women's soccer team saw its six-match unbeaten streak snapped today as the Judges dropped a 2-1 University Athletic Association decision to host Case Western Reserve University.
- Brandeis, 6-3-1, 0-1 UAA.
- Case Western Reserve, 9-0, 1-0 UAA, ranked #14 in Division III by United Soccer Coaches
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams were scoreless in the first half, with Brandeis outshooting CWRU, 5-3.
- The Spartans broke the deadlock in the 60th minute on a corner kick, with Aniya Hartzler's service headed Merry Meyer and finished by Carolyn Koutures.
- Brandeis equalized in the 79th minute. Senior midfielder Caroline Swan (Pittsburgh, Pa./Pine Richland) found senior forward Juliette Carreiro (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional) at the right side of the 18-yard box. Carreiro was able to chip the ball over the charging Spartan keeper.
- The game-winning goal came with just under seven minutes left in the game. The Judges were whistled for a foul from about 25 yards from the goal. Hartzler took the free kick and put it past the wall and inside the near post.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- CWRU outshot Brandeis, 8-4, in the second half and 11-9 for the game. The Spartans also had a 7-4 edge in corner kicks.
- Case's Maggie Storti made four saves to earn the win. Brandeis sophomore Hannah Bassan (Aventura, Fla./NSU University School) had one stop for the Judges.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis had not allowed more than one goal in their previous six contests, dating to Sept. 7, a 4-3 loss to Babson.
- The loss was Bassan's first in five decisions this season.
- Carreiro's goal was her seventh of the season, tying her total from 2021, when she was an All-American. She is one shy of her career-high eight set in 2019.
- Carreiro has scored a point in the last seven contests and nine of 10 this season.
- She now ranks in a tie for 14th in career goals at Brandeis (23) and 13th in total points (65).
- Swan's assist was her fourth of the season and the 15th of her career, moving her into a tie for 12th on the all-time list at Brandeis.
- Brandeis plays host to Carnegie Mellon next Saturday at 1:30 p.m. as part of Brandeis's Homecoming Weekend.
- Case Western Reserve is at NYU next Saturday at 6:30 p.m.