NORTON, Mass. – The Brandeis University men's and women's swimming and diving teams each picked up a pair of wins this afternoon at a tri-meet with Bridgewater State and Keene State. The women swept, winning 183-88 over Keene and 195-82 over Bridgewater, while the men were 181-109 victors over Keene and 178-96 winners of Bridgewater. Brandeis won 21 of the 32 events contested.
The meet was held at Wheaton College while Brandeis's Linsey Pool undergoes some renovations. The Judges now stand at 4-9 on the women's side and 5-6 for the men.
TOP PERFORMERS - WOMEN
- Rookie Bailey Gold (Berkeley Heights, N.J. / Governor Livingston) was a triple winner. She took the 200-yard backstroke (2:14.58), the 200 butterfly (2:12.17) and the 200 individual medley (2:19.66).
- Junior Uajda Musaku (Winthrop, Mass./Winthrop) added two wins in the 50 backstroke (29.99 seconds) and the 100 freestyle (56.55 seconds)
- Sophomore Abbie Etzweiler (Malvern, Pa. / Great Valley) swept the distance free races, taking the 500 (5:45.09) and the 1000 (11:45.42).
- Individual winners were junior Audrey Kim (Livingston, N.J. / Livingston) in the 200 freestyle (2:04.50); junior Emily McGovern (Chatham, N.J. / Chatham) in the 200 breaststroke (2:33.09); and rookie Ema Rennie (Dublin, Ohio / Dublin Scioto) in the 50 butterfly (27.75 seconds).
TOP PERFORMERS – MEN
- Junior Brendon Lu (Basking Ridge, N.J. / Ridge) picked up a pair of wins in the 200 freestyle (1:49.93) and the 200 breaststroke (2:17.51).
- Junior Daniel Wohl (Chapel Hill, N.C. / East Chapel Hill) showed impressive versatility, taking the 50 free (22.37 seconds) as well as the 500 (4:50.07).
- Senior Tamir Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) just missed being a triple winner, topping the 100 free (49.17 seconds) and the 50 fly (23.85 seconds) and taking second in the 50 back by 0.09 seconds (25.78).
- Single-race victors included junior Richard Selznick (Las Vegas, Nev./Palos Verde) in the 1000 free (10:22.55); senior Justin Weissberg (Long Beach, N.Y. / Long Beach) in the 200 fly (2:02.69); and junior Joe Beletti-Naccarato (Delmar, N.Y. / Bethlehem Central) in the 200 back (2:04.27).
- Both teams opened the meet with relay wins.
- The women were represented by Kim, sophomore Olivia Stebbins (Willington, CT / Edwin O. Smith), Gold and Rennie in the 200 medley with a time of 1:55.66, winning by more than two seconds.
- The men were paced by sophomore Benton Ferebee (Germantown, Tenn. / Memphis University School), Lu, Zitelny and Wohl to a win in the 200 medley with a time of 1:39.82, a victory of about three-quarters of a second.
- Before the meet, the Judges held their Senior Day ceremony, honoring seven four-year members.
- Tom Alger (Plymouth, Mass. / Sacred Heart
- Adrienne Aponte (Pompano Beach, Fla. / Fort Lauderdale)
- Matthew Arcemont (Santa Ana, Calif. / Mater Dei)
- Junhan Lee (Peachtree City, Ga. / Stars Mill)
- Justin Weissberg (Long Beach, N.Y. / Long Beach)
- Natalya Wozab (Plantation, Fla. / Saint Thomas Aquinas
- And Tamir Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset)
- The Brandeis women are in action next Saturday at Wellesley against the home team and Merrimack. Both teams are at Clark University on Feb. 1.