WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's tennis team, ranked 40th in Division III, ran its winning streak to four in a row today with a 7-2 victory over Division II Franklin Pierce University at the Gosman Athletic Center.
- Brandeis: 5-2, ranked 40th in Division III by the ITA.
- Franklin Pierce: 10-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges got off to a 2-0 start in doubles action. The tandem of sophomore Bhakti Parwani (Ahmedabad, India/Kumkum School) and first-year Rebecca Suarez (Huntington, N.Y. / International Virtual Learning Academy) took an 8-3 decision at #1.
- Sophomore Cecilia Denis (Ardmore, Pa. / Lower Merion) and junior Ella Subramanian (Parkland, Fla. / Laurel Springs) earned an 8-4 win at #3.
- The Ravens got on the board in a back-and-forth match at #2, with Maria P. Aguilo and Zoe Asterio Correa outlasting Brandeis first-years Phoebe Tamaoki (Cambridge, Mass. / Cambridge Rindge and Latin) and Nancy Zhang (Shanghai, China / Shanghai International Division) in a tiebreaker, 8-7 (7-2).
- Singles matches were completed in order, with Suarez defeating Aguilo, 6-1, 6-1, at the top spot and Parwani handing Liria Loria a second loss of the day, 6-3, 6-1, at the #2 spot.
- Zhang provided the clinching win at #3, 6-1, 6-4, to complete the first wave of singles.
- Tamaoki avenged her doubles loss at #4 against Correa, 6-1, 6-1.
- Sophomore Anastasia Sia (Thessaloniki, Greece/Anatolia College) delivered a 7-4, 6-2 win at #5, while FPU's Aynara Ferraz knocked off rookie Ella Chase (Lincoln, Mass. / Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) in the longest match of the day at #6, 3-5, 7-5, 10-6 in a third-set super tiebreaker.
- The Judges meet their third ranked opponent of 2023 next Sunday afternoon when they travel to #22 Colby College.