Posted: Mar 12, 2023
WATERVILLE, Maine – In a pair of top-25 showdowns, the Brandeis University tennis teams dropped 8-1 decisions to host Colby College in both men's and women's matches today.
TEAM RECORDS AND RANKINGS
- Brandeis men: 4-3, #24 in Division III.
- Brandeis women: 5-3, #19 in Division III.
- Colby men: 3-0, #20 in Division III.
- Colby women: 2-2, #24 in Division III.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In both matches, the Mules took a 2-1 lead after doubles.
- The Brandeis men got a win at #2 from seniors Hunter Levine (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay) and Simon Kauppila (Chesterfield, Mo./Marquette H.S.), 8-4.
- The women picked up their with thanks to sophomore Cecilia Denis (Ardmore, Pa./Lower Merion) and junior Ella Subramanian (Parkland, Fla./Laurel Springs) at #3 with an 8-5 win.
- Both matches saw Colby pick up late breaks of serve at #1 doubles to pick up an 8-5 win on the men's side and 8-6 on the women's to give the hosts the edge.
- In men's singles action, Colby won a pair of quick two-set wins at #2 and #6.
- The hosts won a long tiebreaker in the first set at #4, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1, and prevailed in a trio of three-setters to close out the singles sweep.
- In the women's singles matches, the Judges were playing without their regular #2, sophomore Bhakti Parwani (Ahmedabad, India/Kumkum School). Colby was able to take advantage, winning four two-set matches at #1 and at #3 through #5.
- Brandeis first-year Nancy Zhang (Shanghai, China / Shanghai International) dropped a three-setter at #2, 6-3, 4-6, 10-4, while Subramanian was even with her opponent at #6 before having to retire.
- The Brandeis men take on #35 RPI on the road on March 18, while the women play host to fourth-ranked Wesleyan University on March 22.