WALTHAM, Mass. – In their final regular-season tune-up before next weekend's University Athletic Association championships, the #27-ranked Brandeis University women's tennis team blanked visiting Endicott College, 9-0. It was the second-straight match that the Judges won without dropping a point.
- Brandeis: 9-8.
- Endicott: 12-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges won this despite resting their top-two singles players and top doubles tandem.
- They swept through doubles action with wins of 8-2, 8-3 and 8-3, to take a commanding 3-0 lead.
- In singles action, the first two matches were decided when Brandeis players won 12 out of 13 games.
- First-year Ella Chase (Lincoln, Mass. / Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) won 6-0, 6-1, at #4, and sophomore Anastasia Sia (Thessaloniki, Greece / Anatolia College) won 6-1, 6-0, at #3 for the clinching point.
- First-year Phoebe Tamaoki (Cambridge, Mass. / Cambridge Rindge and Latin) nearly repeated the 12-of-13 feat with a 6-2, 6-0, win at #2, while junior Ella Subramanian (Parkland, Fla. / Laurel Springs) did win by a 6-0, 6-1, score at #5.
- The final two matches at the top and bottom of the lineup were the most competitive and featured a pair of Brandeis sisters. First-year Nancy Jiang (Shanghai, China / Shanghai International) was a 6-1, 6-3, winner at #1, while junior Jiayi Zhang (Shanghai, China / Shanghai International) survived the toughest test at #6, 4-6, 7-5, 12-10.
- The Judges will learn their first-round opponent for next week's UAA tournament tomorrow.