ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The #31 Brandeis University women's tennis took a doubles point from a higher-ranked opponent for the second day in a row, but #14 Carnegie Mellon prevailed in singles action for a 5-1 victory in the consolation semifinals of the 2023 University Athletic Association tournament.
TEAM RECORDS / RANKINGS
- Brandeis: 9-10, ranked #31 in Division III.
- Carnegie Mellon: 18-5, ranked #14 in Division III.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After CMU staged a late rally to win at #1 doubles, 8-4, the Brandeis tandem of sophomore Sabrina Loui (Honolulu, Hawaii/Punahou School) and first-year Nancy Zhang (Shanghai, China/Shanghai International Division) put the Judges on the board with an 8-6 win at #2.
- The Tartans won the final doubles match in a close effort, 8-6, as Zoe Angell and Anna Chow defeated Brandeis first-year Ella Chase (Lincoln, Mass. / Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) and sophomore Cecilia Denis (Ardmore, Pa. / Lower Merion), 8-6.
- In singles action, the Tartans won in straight sets at #4 and #2 to take a commanding 4-1 lead.
- The Judges had a chance to come back as the final four matches were headed for three sets, but CMU's Crystal Zhou defeated Nancy Zhang, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2, at #3, to clinch victory.
- At the end of the match, Brandeis first-year Rebecca Suarez (Huntington, N.Y. / International Virtual Learning Academy) led CMU's Sarah Yang, 7-6, 3-6, 4-3, at #1, while Chase at #6 and sophomore Anastasia Sia (Thessaloniki, Greece / Anatolia College) at #5 were each on serve in the third.
- The Judges will meet the University of Rochester tomorrow morning in the UAA Tournament Seventh-Place match.