WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University volleyball team got a double-double from graduate student Sydney Bent (Raleigh, N.C. / Ransom Everglades School (Fla.), but it wasn't enough to get past #21-ranked MIT, 3-0, in a non-conference match-up in Red Auerbach Arena tonight. Set scores were 25-19, 25-15, 25-19.
TEAM RECORDS / RANKINGS
- BRANDEIS: 9-10.
- MIT: 16-5, Ranked #21 in Division III by AVCA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was the closest of the match. The Judges were within 14-13 on a kill by junior Rita Lai (Sugar Land, Texas/Clements). It was still a two-point set at 17-15 after an MIT error. The Engineers closed it out on an 8-4 run to take it, 25-19.
- The Judges won the first point of the second set on a Bent kill, but MIT scored the next six points, including two service aces by Alyssa Unell and two block assists by Consecrata Rozaria. The visitors never looked back in the 25-15 win.
- The third set features three early ties and two lead changes, but MIT scored six in a row on the serve of Daphne Gavros to take a 9-3 lead. The Engineers led by as many as nine points before holding off the Judges to take it, 25-19.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Bent's 11 kills were a match-high, while her 14 digs were one shy of a match-high.
- It marked her seventh double-double in a Brandeis uniform.
- Bent also had a pair of block assists.
- Junior Lara Verstovsek (Houston, Texas/Episcopal) just missed a double-double of her own with nine kills and 10 digs.
- Lai had four kills and two blocks (one solo).
- First-year Julia Liang (Sugar Land, Texas/Clements) led Brandeis with 16 assists in her first significant action of the season.
- The Judges travel to the University of Rochester for a University Athletic Association showdown on Sunday. They meet #6 Emory at 10 a.m. and host Rochester at noon.
- MIT is at Wheaton for a NEWMAC match on Tuesday at 7 p.m.